KING JESUS - LORD OF LORDS
IS COMING BACK!

email: creyner@yahoo.com

James 5:1 (KJV) Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Contentment

Contentment is a rare commodity in this world. I recently read that well over 50% of Americans were taking anti-depressants. That statistic itself is depressing, if true.

Contentment is a state of satisfaction, peace of mind, perhaps best described by Paul: "I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Phil. 4:11. Paul's contentment was not determined by circumstances. That's the bottom line.

No doubt a lot of the discontent in our society comes from shallowness of life, an inordinate desire for the things of the world, rather than placing our relationship with the Lord as the absolute top priority. Jesus told us to seek the kingdom of God first. That is the key to contentment.

I can certainly speak from experience on this topic. When I was a young and immature person, not putting my relationship with the Lord at the top of the list, I was buffeted about by every changing circumstance - a sort of basket case, one might say. I was extremely emotional. Everything was either fantastic or a catastrophe. I have no idea who I was back then. I am living proof of miraculous change, a walking miracle.

While it may be dangerous to do so, I think I can say with Paul that I have learned to be content regardless of the circumstances of life. Frankly, I never thought it would be possible to have that kind of contentment, nor did I seek it. It was a part of the miracle God has worked in my life.

How did it happen? I lived through many hard times and took many wrong turns. Even though I had asked the Lord to come into my heart as a young child, there was a day that I was fed up with choosing my own path, and on that day I committed myself 100% to giving Christ the reins of my life.

It was not a model, perhaps, of the way it 'should be done,' which proves there is no right or wrong way to approach God. He takes you just as you are. I was very angry, and I actually challenged God to prove he was 'there.' I bargained with him - in anger. I told him I would give him 100% for one year, and if he didn't prove he was there after that time, I would tell everyone it didn't work. When I think about that, I laugh every time, mostly out of relief that the Lord looked right through all that ... and saw my heart.

He wasted no time. Immediately, my life turned around and I headed in the exact opposite direction. I never had a doubt from that moment forward, and I forgot about the angry challenge until years later. And then I was amused. The Lord was so much ahead of me, so beyond me, and so full of irony. I never hear people talk about it, but I find the Lord to be very ironic .. in the sense of engineering the outcome of events to be contrary to what was, or might have been, expected. This feature has definitely been a hallmark of my personal relationship with the Lord. I can't tell you how many times I have smiled - even laughed out loud - at the way the Lord worked in a situation. "Delightful surprise" characterizes it.

Life didn't become easier. It became much more difficult, full of many challenging situations and circumstances. As the years rolled by my faith increased, as did my dependence on the Lord. Somewhere along the line, contentment settled over me. It's here to stay. I could live in a hut and be happy. Material things not only mean little to me; I find them an increasing hindrance, a distraction from more important endeavors. I'm eager to pare down to only those things of importance. Unfortunately, this life entails the reality of distraction.

"The fear of the LORD leads to life, so that one may sleep satisfied, untouched by evil." Proverbs 19:23.

"If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasures." Job 36:11.

"But godliness with contentment is great gain." 1 Tim 6:6.

RECIPE FOR CONTENTMENT:

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." The entire 3rd chapter of Proverbs is the key to contentment. Read it here: http://kingjbible.com/proverbs/3.htm



A Child of the King