KING JESUS - LORD OF LORDS
IS COMING BACK!

email: creyner@yahoo.com

James 5:1 (KJV) Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Civility

Civility in modern America seems to have gone the way of the horse and buggy.

Young children run you down in stores, students flagrantly use the worst possible language with no apparent comprehension that anyone might be offended, people use their vehicles and computers as instruments of terror.

Using one of the dictionary terms for civility, "courteous behavior," we can greatly broaden our list of examples. To depend on a person's word and a handshake these days would generally be considered lunacy. Even an agreement steeped in fine print and legalese is routinely broken with not so much as a second thought. And it is quite common practice for the breaker of the agreement to sue the other party, generally because he is demanding his rights.

People routinely cut in front of you in any line, if possible. They no longer feel the need to defend themselves with an excuse, no matter how feeble. To lie is the order of the day, the only perceived requirement being expediency. Political lying is routine and in the past decade has gained tacit approval and a bored yawn by the general population and its representatives.

I think we've put our collective feet in the door of anarchy.

Society has accepted corrupt politicians and routine fraud and theft by government agencies, certainly not civil behavior but just as certainly expedient to ignore such things if they result in some personal benefit.

Employees in many stores often appear sulky if one has the audacity to expect service, and they can get downright rude if you decide to press the issue.

Recently I was almost run down by a reckless wheelchair whose surly occupant was seeking special privileges, which I was not in the mood to grant as I struggled to make it on my own pads after a 12-hour day and a bad back. Only good breeding kept me from yanking the person out of the chair and jumping in myself.

I find that even I succumb to the occasional fleeting pleasures of the impolite thought. Modern society is having a bad influence on me.

Why am I going around wasting my time treating people with some antiquated sense of civility, anyway? They don't deserve it. And what good does it do me anyway?

Get outta my way before I decide to turn thought into action.


Copyright 1994. All rights reserved.